Search Site

This search form uses an instant search feature. As you type, search results will appear automatically below the search field. When you've entered you desired search terms use tab to navigate through the available results and hit enter to open the selected page or document.
Hemlock PSD-Why?
Thursday, March 05, 2020

Hemlock, MI – The upcoming decision by our community on March 10th, regarding our Sinking Fund Proposal, is important to the future of Hemlock Public School District and the students we serve.

One of the questions, we have heard from our community is why weren’t these things addressed in previous bond projects? And, why can’t these things simply be funded by our annual operational budget?

First, why weren’t these addressed in the past? Most of the things the Sinking Fund would be used to support are life cycle issues, such as roofs, HVAC, security, and instructional technology. In the past, some of these things have been addressed. Now, they are at or past useful life expectancy and need repair or replacement. Regarding to the 1959 windows, there is no clear answer as it appears these have been on the list in the past, but have been removed. Perhaps, it’s because despite drafts and other concerns they are aluminum and the appearance give a false sense of not needing to be replaced. 

Second, why can’t these things get handled with our operational budget? Well, the roofs alone are likely costlier than the money we have on hand. Our operational budget is comprised of 87% staff and the remaining 13% for things like keeping the electricity on, instructional resources, and regular maintenance. Our construction management firm conducted a facility needs assessment in 2018, and we have end of life cycle concerns with roofs, flooring, security, instructional technology, and more.